TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Haas Has Balls

For some reason, a few people have their panties in a bunch over the recent comments about Federer from Tommy Haas at the Australian Open. From the transcript:


Everybody is, you know, talking about him being maybe the greatest ever. He still has to do a couple of things, I think, in my mind to be that, you know. If you ask Jim Courier, I mean, that guy has his tongue up his ass I think, you know, the whole time when you actually listen to him commentating or listen to him talk about Roger Federer. Sometimes makes me sick almost.
I love Jim Courier, but it's unbelievable. Maybe in six years I'm going to shake Jim's hand and say, "Listen, you're right." Maybe this guy wins 15 Grand Slams. Who knows. This guy right now is pretty much the man to beat. If somebody can do it this week, great.

Apparently, some people find this disrespectful. While I'll readily admit that I do not belong to the Jim Courier generation, I think that this is exactly what tennis needs. It seems like everyone from tennis organizations to television commentators are constantly bemoaning the fact that tennis doesn't have hordes of young fans - as if it is surprising that young fans would be turned off by the "respect your elders" attitude. It is comments like this that make the players seem much more interesting.

Plus, I am sick of hearing about the Federer legend.

Update: Courier later felt the need to respond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home