TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

More talk: is Davenport about to retire?


iw2006 009
Originally uploaded by princess robyn.


Maybe Andre Agassi won't be the only American tennis icon to retire this year.
Despite continuing ill health over the summer, 30-year-old Lindsay Davenport has always sounded positive about her prospects of playing the 2007 season. As recently as last week, she said with conviction, "It's just not my time yet to say goodbye."

On Monday, after her routine first-round victory over Klara Zakopalova, Davenport stepped back from that hard line.

After the U.S. Open, Davenport said she would play two events in Asia and then re-evaluate her future playing status.

"Nothing's a guarantee, and nothing's ruled out," Davenport said. "It seems so far away in my mind to say I'll be in Australia in January. I couldn't say and swear on my life that I would be there."

So, is "undecided" the best way to describe her mind-set?

"Yeah," she said, smiling. "I think that's probably good.

"I think it will definitely come down to … November, if I'm feeling good and if I'm out practicing or not. I'll definitely know by the beginning of December what the plans are."

That Davenport played at all is something of a medical miracle. Fifty-one hours earlier, she retired from her championship final at New Haven's Pilot Pen trailing Justine Henin-Hardenne 0-6, 0-1. After playing only one match in a span of five months because of an ailing back -- she lost to Samantha Stosur -- Davenport found herself playing her fifth match in five days.

Her right shoulder, arm and elbow couldn't stand the shock. She rested, iced her arm and, Davenport said, didn't take a cortisone shot. She'll have Tuesday off and, as long as she wins, will only have to play a match every other day. ESPN.com

How on earth did she make such a fast recovery after the Pilot Pen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home