TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Saturday, August 19, 2006

New Sharapova Commercial: 'I Feel Pretty' and the Grunt

This new Maria Sharapova / Nike commercial, set to debut tomorrow and pick up air time as the US Open approaches, doesn't sound annoying at all.
it begins with Maria in one of her new Nike tennis outfits in her hotel room, and then follows her as she is driven to the tennis stadium and as she walks onto center court. Along the way, she passes workers in the hotel, fans, players and members of the media, who all sing “I Feel Pretty.” (The song was originally heard in the classic Broadway play, West Side Story.) Ultimately, the entire crowd in the tennis stadium is singing. But they are silenced when the match begins and Sharapova lets out one of her classic grunts as she returns a serve.

The TV spot is reminiscent of a commercial with Sharapova that broke in May for Canon’s PowerShot, “Attraction,” via Dentsu America, New York, in which tennis balls follow her from the court to her hotel room, eventually forming a giant smiley face outside her window.

Others featured in the new spot include John McEnroe, Patrick McEnroe and two-time tennis Olympic gold medalist Mary Joe Fernandez. Brand Week

I didn't like the last Canon commercial - this one doesn't sound much better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw the new Sharapova commercial. Notice how they don't have the guts to use the original lyrics which say, "I feel pretty and witty and gay". Changed the word gay to bright. Homophobia runs deep.

11:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The original lyric is "bright" to rhyme with "tonight."

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and bright!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,
Oh, so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel!
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real.
(etc.)

Music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
© 1956, 1957 Amberson Holdings LLC and Stephen Sondheim. Copyright renewed. Leonard Bernstein Music Publishing Company LLC, Publisher.

8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That might be what Nike will argue, but the spot is set during the day not at night. So "today" makes more sense than "tonight" for the spot. However that would have meant saying "gay" in an ad. Gasp! The horror!

9:12 AM

 
Blogger milton said...

This was noted in an Adweek article -

http://planettennis.blogspot.com/2006/08/adweek-summary-of-sharapova-nike-i.html

10:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home