TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Some player named Henman might retire

Tim Henman, the currently out-of-favor British tennis player has set his personal goals for this year - and if he doesn't achieve them, he will retire.
"It's not a decision I have to make now, but I've set myself targets and if I don't reach them then, come the end of the year, I'll be saying: 'Thanks very much, I'm getting out of here'. I've got to be enjoying my tennis again and, for that to happen, my back's got to hold up and I've got to get back into the top 20. I need that as a minimum.

"Call it unfinished business, if you like, but I need to know, once and for all whether my body and mind will let me play on. If they do, I've got two or three years left. If they don't, then I'll be calling it a day."

I'm not saying that top 20 is too much for him to achieve, but I do think he has a tough road ahead of him, especially if he is not healthy. Relying on a few tournaments here and there just won't be enough to hold up to some of the field, but others have pulled it off. Now that the spotlight is on Andy Murray, he may be able to relax and take some of the pressure off of himself.

I kinda laughed when I saw Andy Murray and Henman complaining about this pressure from their home country and the press - then I started reading the articles, and I really do have to say that there is more pressure over there than in countries who care less about tennis. When Murray won the SAP Open and lost in the Memphis tournament, the headlines went from "Murray will be #1" to "Murray squanders his big chance for consecutive titles" and "Murray triggers the apocalypse in latest loss". Okay, I made that last one up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home