TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Friday, September 08, 2006

Mattek and Jankovic on tennis fashion

Says Jankovic, “I enjoy shopping and New York is great for that but with my singles and doubles schedule, I just haven’t had the time. Lately I’m done playing so late that I don’t have time for much else. But I do love spas – especially facials and massages. Who doesn’t like to be pampered?”

In doubles play, Jankovic is paired up with another player who enjoys showing off her girlie side - American Bethanie Mattek. “We’ve played a few times together,” said Jankovic. “She’s fun and a great player and we’re friends, you know? And it’s so nice to play with someone you know really well.”

...

In past years, Mattek has been notorious for her wild fashion sense, sporting an argyle cowboy hat that awarded her a fine at the 2005 US Open. She also has donned a leopard-print dress as well as her eye-catching 80s roller-derby inspired look at Wimbledon. “Tennis is entertainment and if people are talking about my fashion, whether they like it or not or whether they think its cool or not – I mean it just draws more attention,” Mattek commented. “It’s just another way we can show our personalities out on the court.”

So where are the ideas for these wild outfits birthed? “I actually don’t buy my tennis clothes in athletic stores,” she confessed. “I just go shopping and I’ll see something in a window and think, ‘hey, that matches a skirt I already have’, and suddenly I have my next outfit. I always try to plan my dress the night before a match but it usually ends up being a spur of the moment decision. Just depends on how I’m feeling at that moment, you know? It’s all about expression.”

Inspired by the trendy garb of singers Fergie, Gwen Stefani and Pink, Mattek admits that she just goes for a funky style that will catch the eyes of spectators. But for Mattek, putting together looks goes past the immediate moment; “I’m really into fashion and often sew my own clothes. Ultimately I’m working on being able to design a line where I could be really hands on. I think that’d be really cool and it’d be good experience for me ‘cause, you know, there is a life after tennis. So we’ll see what happens.”

But for now, Mattek can test her home-made designs out on doubles partner Jankovic. “Off the court I like to be trendy and fashionable,” said Jankovic. “But on the court, for me, the most important thing is comfort.” In 2006 Open singles play, Jankovic has sported a crisp white dress with a wide orange vertical stripe down the sides. Simple, yet edgy.

In doubles play this year in San Diego, Mattek convinced Jankovic to wear hot pink and black high socks. “Jelena and I don’t necessarily have the same style,” Mattek laughed. “But doubles for her is really fun and she thinks my outfit choices are so crazy that she likes to try them out so it’s been fun.”
noticias.info

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home