TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Dementieva easily wins Toray PPO title

Elena Dementieva easily won over Martina Hingis at the Toray PPO final, 6-2, 6-0. Both of these women are known for poor serving, so I am a bit surprised that this score wasn't closer. Hingis:
"I played really a great tournament, great tennis all week," the Swiss former world No.1 said. "She was just too good today. I'm not looking for any excuses. She was just a better player.

"Hopefully in the near future I will have another chance to play her and come up with something better. Today she was just too good, she was mentally very focused, she played a very good match.

"I had a very good start to my comeback and I can go back home with my head up and keep working to physically get stronger."

Hingis plans to play Dubai next.
"I feel extremely happy," Dementieva said. "I didn't expect to beat Martina. She's always been my favourite player and after this even more. This is my fifth time in Tokyo and I was trying so hard and I'm very, very happy to finally win this tournament.

"I never had a 6-0 in the final, only against me, so this is the first time actually I had such a score, but it was a very good game and the score doesn't tell the whole story.

"I was trying to play aggressively, trying to play my game. I had a feeling like I had nothing to lose.

"I didn't feel any pressure before the match. I just played aggressively and solidly."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home