TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Sunday, April 23, 2006

It's On! The Nadal - Federer rivalry

Yes, that's right - a real rivalry has finally emerged,and likely saved us tennis fans from the unending calm perfection of Roger "can't do any wrong" Federer. After so many media-inspired attempts at a rivalry with Andy Roddick, I think we've finally got the real thing - but my gut instinct says that this one could also go the way of the Feds/Roddick rivalry - and not to the advantage of Mr. UN Ambassador either.

It all began this morning when I hauled my butt out of bed late, which means that due to time zones, I had already missed everything live. I eagerly visited my first stop for news (Google News) and scanned the sports section - nothing. So I did a quick news search, and there it was - the story that made my day. Nadal defeats Federer, 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) for a win at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Anyone who reads here regularly knows that I don't like Federer. Sure, he's a great guy. He's talented. He's a really hard worker. He cares about the sport, and doesn't act like a spaz (ever). He's not as humble as folks make him out to be in my opinion, but he definitely isn't an egomaniac. So, this makes him a tad boring to me, especially when he wins nearly everything he enters. I haven't been a tennis fan all my life, and I am the first to admit that the more drama there is, the more interesting things get to me. I like to see how the players really are - on and off the court. Call me a fan from the ADD generation, but I want to see someone with a bit more spark than Feds.

Rafael Nadal is pretty much the antithesis of our boy Feds. He's showy, often to the point of alienating some fans, and is not a quiet threat on the courts. Watching him lose in person at Indian Wells and Miami was a bit of a letdown, but you can see that this guy has tons of personality even in his down moments. While he doesn't appear to be a complete ego-fiend either, he doesn't play the nice gentlemanly game of tennis that irks me so much.

And so, here we are - Federer just can't get his mind around Nadal's game, and Nadal is going balls-to-the-wall to own this guy. I love it. Nadal has won four of their last five meetings, which is great - it gives Roger something to work on and Nadal a distinction that no one else can claim in these past few years. I think the side effect will be that Nadal's influence on a younger or lesser known set of tennis players will inspire more men to unseat Federer. I do think we can write off player like Roddick in overcoming Feds, because they just don't have a clue on how to mentally reinvent themselves, along with their best tennis being on surfaces that Roger can easily work his magic. Nadal was different from day 1. I feel like he had the intensity and goals to drive him to the point he is at now, and he didn't concentrate too much on who was in his way.

While I respect Feds enough to know that you can never count him out, this is just what tennis fans like myself and the sport in general needs - while we may end up with Nadal just dominating Feds, we have all seen how Nadal is not unbeatable by other players. Rivalries are good for everyone - the players get to push themselves, fans like me dump more cash and time into the sport, and tennis gains a wider audience.

I look forward to whatever is to come.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with you!!! but Nadal is not showy I guess he's actually more humble than Federer... He is emotional, which does not make him showy.

6:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home