TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Friday, August 25, 2006

Davenport considered suing the WTA


iw2006 034
Originally uploaded by princess robyn.
Apparently, a lot has been going on behind the scenes for the past few months that Lindsay Davenport has been attempting to overcome the injury to her back that has prevented her from playing a full season and maintaining her ranking.

The fighting began with the WTA when she knew that she could not play many tournaments this summer. Here's the info on what went on:

After a five-month tour absence, she had hoped to test her back before the Pilot Pen, but she said the WTA wouldn't let her. At one point, Davenport said she even considered filing suit.

"It's a really long story," said Davenport, who then provided the shorter version Tuesday. "In April, I was told I needed to sign up for 10 or 11 tournaments. I obviously wasn't in any position to do that. I took a stand that I wasn't going to enter tournaments that the tournament and the tour knew I would pull out of. I would be marketed as playing. I would pull out, and I would look like the bad person. I was told I had to do that, or 'tough luck.' So, I said 'I'm not going to do anything.'

"Then, I was put under this rule where I can't take wild cards. I would have to pay withdrawal fines ... just stupid stuff. I abide by my principle, and I stand by that.

"The biggest problem is players pulling out. Half the time they know they're never going to go to that tournament, and we're the ones who look bad from that, even though the tour knows that we're never going to the tournament. I wasn't going to be a part of that any longer."

Davenport did play in a tournament two weeks ago in Los Angeles, but she lost her first match. "I was trying to play most of the summer, and the tour wouldn't allow me to," she said.

"Hindrance? No. Distraction? Yeah. When someone goes back on a deal they made with you, and it doesn't allow you to do your profession, it's obviously not a great thing to go through." Courant.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home