TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Friday, August 25, 2006

Maria Sharapova interview - no comment on Roddick again

An interesting interview with Maria Sharapova. I think she and Andy Roddick really are going to keep up this "I don't talk about my personal life" line with the press.

What kind of preparation have you been doing for the U.S. Open?

This is the first time in 2006 that my body has felt really good ... which has really limited my quality training time. So the past few weeks I have really been trying to work on all parts of (my) game. I also have been working really hard off the court as well.

What do you like best about New York?

It's funny. When I first came to New York to play the juniors at age 14, I did not like (it) at all. But now I am a little older, and I love it. I even can see myself owning a place one day. I love the energy of the people, the fashion and style, and they have great restaurants. I also love walking in Soho, visiting the art galleries, and I always try to go to a museum or two if I get a chance.

What do you like the least?

I am not a huge fan of the traffic.

How would you characterize the atmosphere at the U.S. Open?

The U.S. Open is all energy. You can really feel the crowd, and that brings the best out of you as an athlete. There are not too many places where you have that feeling.

Do you feel any pressure because it's been two years since you won a major?

No pressure at all. I play tennis because I love the competition. ... I don't worry about anything else.

Your best finish at the Open was the semifinals last year. What will it take to improve upon that?

I don't worry about semifinals, finals, winning or losing. I just don't think like that. I think about working hard, staying healthy and getting ready to compete on a big stage. This is my passion, and I think people see that and appreciate that when they watch me play. I am a fighter!

What kind of sponsor/endorser obligations do you have in New York? Any appearances, photo shoots, etc.?

My schedule before the U.S. Open is very strict, as 100% of my focus is getting ready to play. I will do a few things early in the week before the tournament, and then I will shut everything down the Thursday before. I don't go to any parties, I never do any photo shoots within four weeks of a Grand Slam or any tennis tournament.

Do you enjoy the off-court obligations?

I really do enjoy my sponsor relationships off the court. I am so lucky to be associated with (her sponsors). Not only are these great companies, but I am working and learning from great people at these companies. I enjoy Maria the businesswoman.

What is the key for you to do well at the Open?

Stay healthy and happy, and good things will happen.

Anyone in your life right now?

You know I don't talk about my personal life. (I like how you tried to slip that question in.)

How do you feel about the WTA's on-court coaching experiment?

I am very open to trying new things that can help our sport. I am not in favor of it, but let's see how it goes. I am a player that plays on instinct. I don't like to be told what to do and how to do it.

What about instant replay?

I really like instant replay, even though I am not good at it. I think it is great for the game and the fans. I finally got one right in San Diego.

Does the U.S. Open seem as wide open to you as it does to many others?

This is what makes women's tennis so great. We have 10 players that can win this Grand Slam, and that makes things very exciting.

USA Today

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home