TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Monday, September 11, 2006

Sharapova says she's just a normal girl

After she posed for the cameras, she settled into a sofa in the players' lounge and insisted to a small gathering of reporters that she is ``an absolutely normal teenage girl.''

Yes, the 19-year-old Russian starlet has earned more than $7 million on the court and another $19 million in endorsements. Yes, she owns a waterfront home in Southern California and drives a Range Rover. And yes, she admitted sheepishly, a Manhattan nightclub made ''a little exception'' and let her party the night away after her win over Justine Henin-Hardenne, even though she is not of legal drinking age.

But really, she giggled, she's normal. For example, she said she stopped biting her nails this summer because she was too embarrassed to get a manicure. She also gushed about getting to meet Usher at the GQ Awards and was giddy when she found out that Justin Timberlake will be on the David Letterman show with her Monday night.

''I'm an absolutely normal teenage girl, but I know it's hard for everyone to believe that because I have a career, and travel all over the world for 10 and a half months, I've never been to regular school, I'm not a social bunny and I don't go baby-sitting to make an extra buck,'' she said. ``But no matter how much money I have, no matter what cool car or house I have, I'm still Maria, a normal girl who likes to laugh with friends.''

She said she sometimes can't believe herself the fairy tale life she is living.

''It's crazy,'' she said. ``Three years ago, when I went to L.A., I stayed at the Summer Suites and now I have this beautiful glass house. Every time I walk into it, I can't believe I own it. Sometimes I drive around the driveway instead of going right to the garage just so I can look at the front of the house. Every time I'm driving my car, I can't believe it's mine. Honestly, I'm in shock.''

Though she seems to handle pressure like a full-fledged adult, every once in a while, her youth seeps through. As she held up her championship trophy Saturday night, the lid fell off and bonked her on the head. ''Typical Maria,'' she giggled. ``I'm a goofball. Among my friends, I'm the dork. I'm the one who always spills things and messes things up.'' Miami Herald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home