TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Monday, February 06, 2006

Rafael Nadal wins exhibition match


Rafael Nadal 01
Originally uploaded by HAMACHI!.
(Check out this amazing pic from last year!)

Rafael Nadal played Fabrice Santoro at an exhibition match on Sunday, and won. His uncle was also quoted as saying he will be playing in Marseille, which is also the event that Marat Safin may be playing.

One of the things that I haven't been able to find much info on is this "rumor" that Nadal was not in the Australian Open because it was expected he would test positive for a banned substance. Now, I have nothing at all to substantiate this, but I am curious as to why this rumor started. My understanding is that a player may be drug tested at any point, even out of season or when injured - so why skip the AO when you can be tested anyway? I'm assuming this is just a bunch of BS.

I certainly hope it isn't true, but it just brings more attention to the fact that the information around drug testing in tennis is poor. If it is true, I don't expect to find out until months from now. And then, it'll be in L'Equipe.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing Nadal again - until Federer has some real competition, I'm stuck making fun of Lleyton "Who is a bigger baby - my kid or me?" Hewitt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home