TENNIS :: NEWS :: GOSSIP :: RUMORS :: PHOTOS :: SCORES :: OPINIONS :: LINKS

Your Ad Here

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Nadal beats Federer to win Dubai

Finally, a contender is back!

Rafael Nadal overcame a first set loss to beat Roger Federer at Dubai, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. This match was only finished recently, so stay tuned for interview comments!

[Updated]

This story has really made my day. Watching Feds win week after week is annoying - and no, that isn't a bash on him, it is more of a comment on his ability to just crush the competition. I'll save my derogatory comments about Federer for another time - I really do dislike that guy.

Here's some comments from the post-match interview:

“I think it is unbelievable to win against the best player in the world — perhaps the best in history of the game,” said Nadal, who broke down in tears on court. “It was also special because I was out of the game for more than three months. I cried because I was happy.”

The 19-year-old Nadal, the 2005 French Open champion, recently recovered from a foot injury that kept him out of most tournaments the last four months. He made his return in Marseille two weeks ago, where he reached the semifinals.

Completely outplayed in the first set, Nadal changed his tactics in the second set.

“He was playing too well in the first set, very aggressive. I could do nothing,” Nadal said. “In the second, I told myself just to hold my serve, and try and be aggressive on his serve and hopefully get a break.

“I also applied more topspin on my forehand. Once I won the second game after being 0-30 down, my confidence also went up.”

Federer said he was happy with his game despite his loss.

“I think Nadal deserved to win because he played so consistent. I started off really well, but sprayed a little toward the end,” Federer said. “But I am very happy with my game right now. And hopefully, I will pay him back soon.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Rafa!!! Not bad for his 5th match. Can't help but to think of what could have been at Oz Open if he was not injured.

Am just glad my 3 faves are back.. ie Andre, Rafa and Marat.

12:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home